Calderys provided full turnkey installation of the refractory lining for a 130 MW biomass-fired CFB boiler in Spain for a major Scandinavian boiler manufacturer. Located adjacent to an associated paper mill, this boiler burns a combination of paper mill waste and domestic waste from the town of Zaragoza to provide electricity and some steam to the paper mill.
The unique ability of Calderys to offer single sourcing for projects of this scale has been recognized and utilized with great success by OEM & EPC companies, installation contractors, and end-users around the globe. Recent biomass projects have included not only CFB, but also bubbling fluidised bed and traveling grate / grate-fired boilers.
For this CFB project in Spain, Calderys turnkey installation services included:
Engineering & Material Selection
Lining design and material selection:
- Thin refractory lining on tube-walls with thicknesses varying from 30 to 60 mm top of tube for this highly efficient waste-to-energy (WTE) system.
- For vertical walls our self-flowing castables have been preferred to ensure a perfect filling.
- Very high Alkali resistant products, designed for biomass & incinerators, have been chosen: CALDE® FLOW LF 50 A for the lower furnace, wall, and cone of the cyclone and loop seal.
- Where excellent abrasion resistance is needed, in addition to alkali resistance, our CALDE® FLOW LM 74 A has been installed into such parts as the cyclone inlet and cyclone target wall (with offset joints between the panels to minimize the abrasion of the joints).
- For the roofs LPGM (Low Porosity Gunning Materials), dense gunning castables, have been installed: CALDE® GUN LS 30 for furnace roof, CALDE® GUN LB 85 for cyclone roof, and CALDE® GUN LF 52 A in other roofs.
- CALDE® STIX PB 85 has ensured the junction between roofs and walls.
- The upper furnace walls and wing walls required a very thin lining of 30 mm top of tube with a product presenting a very high heat transfer, therefore a phosphate bonded 85% Silicon Carbide ramming has been installed: Keraplan SiC V-85-E, thanks to its numerous references.
Other related engineering services:
- Thermal calculations, bill of materials, and installation design drawings.
Logistics & Material Supply
Global network of manufacturing plants featuring rigorous quality control, customized packing and marking, and logistics services including partial deliveries to avoid storage problems on site.
Installation Supervision On-Site
Installation procedures and quality control, health and safety management, and installation progress tracking and reporting every day to the OEM representative by our site manager.
Comprehensive Installation Services
Equipment supply, labour, supervision, dry-out, method statements and manpower planning, and on-site testing.
As-built drawings, operation manual, completion certificate, and warranty.
As the world leader in monolithic refractories, Calderys continues to develop not only innovative refractory products, but innovative refractory solutions.